Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Savory marmalade

So Saturday night I had friends over for dinner, and I made a top sirloin roast from Chris Schlesinger's How to Cook Meat. The roast is rubbed with a mixture of coriander, paprika, toasted cumin seeds, black pepper and salt, which was a great blend. Good thing I like it; the recipe had me make about three times the amount of spice rub I could possibly apply to the meat. I'll try the leftovers on a steak. Then the roast is browned in a 500 degree oven for 1/2 hour, the heat is turned down, and you cook until done. This worked out well; the outside was nicely browned, the inside rare.

The recipe calls for a savory marmalade to be served with the roast. You mix chopped plum tomatoes, thinly sliced limes and sugar and cook the mix for a few hours on low until very thick. Then you add some chopped chipolte pepper with a bit of the adobe sauce it comes in, as well as salt and lime juice. The results was spicy, tart and sweet, with deep undertones. I liked the brightness the finish of lime juice gave, and I liked the balance of fruitiness, smokiness, and spice, but I disliked the bitterness of the lime rind. It was just a little too strong. I wonder if lemon rind would be better. I might try it. What I'm really interested in is the possibility of canning the marmalade, but I'm not sure about that. I would think there would be enough sugar and acidity to allow for safe canning, but I don't know how to be sure.

No comments: